Discover, download and enjoy a wide range of applications from BlackBerry App World, now available in 27 additional markets
CaribPR Wire, February 14, 2011 – Waterloo, ON and Barcelona, Spain – Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced that BlackBerry App World™ is now available in 27 additional markets worldwide. With today’s announcement, BlackBerry App World is now available in 101 markets. BlackBerry App World allows customers to discover, download and enjoy a wide range of mobile applications for their BlackBerry® smartphones.
BlackBerry smartphone users are downloading more than 2 million apps per day from BlackBerry App World on average and there are over 20,000 BlackBerry apps available today. RIM continues to support developers in order to provide apps that leverage the many advantages of the BlackBerry platform and deliver best-in-class mobile experiences.
“There is high demand for BlackBerry apps and we’re delighted to be opening up the BlackBerry App World online store to customers in an additional 27 markets today,” said Alan Brenner, Senior Vice President, BlackBerry Platform, Research In Motion. “It’s never been easier to develop apps for BlackBerry smartphones and we look forward to seeing the rich catalog of personal and business oriented apps continue to grow.”
The BlackBerry App World online store is available for all BlackBerry smartphones with a trackball, trackpad or touch screen running BlackBerry OS (device software) 4.5 or higher. Customers can download BlackBerry App World through their computer or directly from their smartphone by visiting www.blackberry.com/appworld or mobile.blackberry.com. BlackBerry App World can then be conveniently accessed over both Wi-Fi® and mobile phone networks and will automatically present users with the relevant catalog of applications available for their specific BlackBerry smartphone model.
Key features of BlackBerry App World:
- Featured Items Carousel: BlackBerry App World showcases a changing selection of featured apps on its front page for easy perusal.
- Top 25 Lists: A variety of top 25 lists are easily found for the top themes, newest apps, updated apps and more.
- Scan a Barcode: Users can scan a QR code associated with an app. BlackBerry App World will quickly find the related app and automatically open the app’s information and download page.
- Choose your Preferred Payment Options: Customers can choose to pay for apps through PayPal and major credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard and Amex, as well as carrier billing where available.
- BlackBerry ID: BlackBerry ID: BlackBerry ID facilitates new payment options, including credit cards and integrated carrier billing (where available), and allows customers to conveniently transfer their personal library of apps when they switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone.
- BlackBerry App World Desktop Storefront: Users can also browse, download, buy and manage apps from their desktop computer.
- Search: BlackBerry App World includes a keyword search which can be sorted by a number of categories including price, relevance and customer rating.
- Reviews: Apps can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can read reviews, see screenshots and read a description of each app before they download it.
- Recommend: BlackBerry App World users can recommend apps to other people through email, PIN, SMS, BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger) and select social networks.
- Application Storage: BlackBerry App World includes a folder called My World, which keeps track of apps that the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to manage activities like uninstalling and re-installing apps.
- Application Archiving: users can archive apps to a microSD card or built-in storage memory on their BlackBerry smartphone.
- Update Notifications: Users can be notified of updates to apps they’ve downloaded from BlackBerry App World.
Note to Editors
Please see below for a list of the additional 27 markets announced today:
6. Czech Republic
9. French Guyana
15. La Réunion
RIM continues to work with its partners to bring BlackBerry App World to more markets.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry® solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the “safe harbor” provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as “expect”, “anticipate”, “estimate”, “may”, “will”, “should”, “intend,” “believe”, and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM’s actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the “Risk Factors” section of RIM’s Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM’s forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.