Home » Breaking News » Lance Aux Epines Resident Fined $15,000

Lance Aux Epines Resident Fined $15,000

Lance Aux Epines Resident Fined $15,000

Forty-six-year-old Tyrone Edwards of Lance Aux Epines made another court appearance on Friday last at the N0.1 magistrate court before magistrate Tamara Gill.

Edwards was arrested following a shooting incident in the village of Mount Toute in Grand Anse that occurred on July 8th, 2017 that left one villager injured. 

Edwards had been previously convicted on a charge of possession of a firearm. In his latest arrest; police confiscated one pistol with seven rounds of ammunition in addition to 8.5 oz. of marijuana with a street value of $, 204.87. 

On June 2nd, he made his first court appearance before magistrate Tamara Gill and was fined $6,000.00.

 On the charge of possession of a firearm, he was fined $4,000.00 to be paid in four months or in default spend fifteen months in prison, while on a charge of possession of ammunition, he was charged $2,000.00 or 12 months in prison.

On Friday 4th August, Edwards pleaded guilty to the three latest charges against him; possession of a firearm, possession of 7.380 calibre ammunition, trafficking of a controlled drug and wounding. 

Reports from the court indicated that there had been an ongoing altercation between the convicted man and another person and he claimed to have obtained the weapon for his own safety since he was being threatened. 

Attorney-at-law Peter David who represented Edwards, mitigating on his client’s behalf said that his client has a solid family base; he has a twelve-year-old in Grenada and other children in Toronto, Canada.

He explained, Edwards was gainfully employed as a chef at JJ’s Sports Bar and Grill and also runs a small rental of mopeds. He is therefore capable of paying the fine, David told the court. 

 Attorney David also told the court that he is of the view that his client’s matter doesn’t reach the threshold for a custodial sentence, noting that there is no evidence to prove that the weapon is being used to endanger anyone in the public, since the weapon in question was found at his home but clearly understands the future implications of his client and wouldn’t do anything that will bring him back before the court another time.

 According to Peter David, his client voluntarily gave information to the police and has fully accepted responsibility 

Edwards, he added, had spent the last three months on remand at Her Majesty’s Prison and has since learned his lesson.

 The magistrate in making her decision told Edwards that his offence is recurring and that he should not be coming back in court for the same offensive weapon offence and expect to “just walk free”.

Edwards was fined $5,000.00 for each offence amounting to $15,000.00 in total to be paid within six months and default he would spend two years behind bars for each offence to run concurrently.