Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the destruction of a three-bedroom wooden house in the village of Telescope in St. Andrew, by fire last Tuesday evening.
The owner of the House whose name was given as Margaret, a vendor at the Grenville Market is struggling to come to grips with the sudden destruction of her home that left her and one other occupant homeless. It is understood that material given to the homeowner as part of the House Repair Programme also went up in flames.
When Informer arrived on the scene we observed the entire building already engulfed in flames, a crowd of hundreds of curious onlookers from the village was already on the scene. The owner was nowhere in sight, while firefighters were in the process of attempting to bring the blaze under control.
Another wooden house in close proximity to the burning one also caught fire and had to be drenched to prevent the fire from spreading.
A relative said that the owner of the house was doing some laundry on the outside of the house when the fire started on the inside but there was nothing she could have done to prevent the flames from quickly spreading. The entire contents of was destroyed in the flames
It is still not clear in which part of the house the fire started and what caused it. However, firefighters did all in their power to douse the flames but were unable to save anything.
Parliamentary Representative for the area, Emmalin Pierre visited the family and expressed her empathy over their loss.