On Wednesday morning as dozens of regular Foodland shoppers at the down town supermarket gathered to make their regular purchases, they found out that things were not as usual.
The fire alarm had gone off very early and two uninformed security officers barred shoppers from entering the supermarket. A notice declared that because of unforeseen circumstances, the supermarket was closed temporarily and apologized for any inconvenience.
Thousands of dollars were estimated to have been lost by the supermarket as it was closed for a few hours, but was reopened a bit later than usual to accommodate later arriving shoppers, as the early morning shoppers had gone elsewhere.
It is understood that quick action by technicians and maintenance personnel prevented what could have been a major early morning fire in down town St. George. It is understood that an electrical fault resulting in smoke was the cause of the incident.
Had this incident occurred earlier in the morning well before staff arrived, the consequences could have been more.
Congratulations to the Huggins technicians and maintenance for averting what could have been a serious fire down town, which would have seriously threatened nearby buildings.