Home » Caribbean News » Nigerian Indicted For Attempted Bombing Of Christmas Day Flight

Nigerian Indicted For Attempted Bombing Of Christmas Day Flight

CaribWorldNews, WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 7, 2010: The 23-year-old Nigerian national who allegedly tried to blow up Northwest Airlines flight 253 from Amsterdam on Christmas Day, was yesterday charged in a six-count criminal indictment.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was indicted on charges of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction among other charges, which carries a term of life imprisonment if he is convicted.

`The charges that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab faces could imprison him for life,` said Attorney General Eric Holder.  `This investigation is fast-paced, global and ongoing, and it has already yielded valuable intelligence that we will follow wherever it leads.  Anyone we find responsible for this alleged attack will be brought to justice using every tool – military or judicial – available to our government.`

According to the indictment, Northwest Airlines flight 253 carried 279 passengers and 11 crewmembers. Abdulmutallab allegedly boarded Northwest Airlines flight 253 in Amsterdam on Dec. 25, 2009 carrying a concealed bomb. The bomb components included Pentaerythritol (also known as PETN, a high explosive), as well as Triacetone Triperoxide (also known as TATP, a high explosive), and other ingredients.

The bomb was concealed in the defendant`s clothing and was designed to allow him to detonate it at a time of his choosing, thereby causing an explosion aboard flight 253, according to the indictment. Shortly prior to landing at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Abdulmutallab detonated the bomb, causing a fire on board flight 253.

According to an affidavit filed in support of a criminal complaint, Abdulmutallab was subdued and restrained by the passengers and flight crew after detonating the bomb. The airplane landed shortly thereafter, and he was taken into custody by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers. Abdulmutallab required medical treatment, and was transported to the University of Michigan Medical Center after the plane landed.